Tuesday, April 20, 2010

5 Weeks!

Harper is 5 weeks today!
Sorry for the influx of baby pictures. Taking pictures of her is my new hobby.
Last week we had our appointment with the GI doctor. She suggested that Harper could have an allergy to dairy and soy. Basically what this would mean is that I would have to give up all dairy and soy products. After the appointment, a dietitian was brought in to go over what exactly this new diet means for me. You would think to just cut out milk, cheese and soy sauce right? WRONG. I will basically starve. BUT I am willing to do whatever I need to if it will make her feel better. The doctor asked me to switch to formula for a week so that all the dairy and soy has time to get out of my system. She also switched Harper's medicine from Zantac to Prilosec.
So here is the problem. The doctor was seemingly suggesting this on a whim. There are no major signs that Harper actually has this allergy (she doesn't have any of the major symptoms). Luckily, I had an appointment scheduled with my pediatrician the next day so I could talk it through with him. It seemed odd to me to change so many things at once. Then we would never know what the problem was. So my pediatrician agreed with us and said to eat normal and just switch the meds for a few days to see if there is any improvement. He also wanted me to continue feeding her normally. After that, cut out major dairy (milk, cheese) and see if that helps. I am much more enthusiastic about this approach. The dietitian told me I couldn't even have food products that were produced in the same factory as dairy and soy. A bit extreme to me.

The medicine seems to be helping. She doesn't seem to be in pain after she eats which is good. I am cutting out major dairy (almond milk anyone?) and hopefully we will see a big improvement. I would hate to think that something I am eating is causing her to be in pain. Fingers crossed things get better soon!

2 comments:

alli.parker said...

No apologies for pics of Harper...I love seeing that little face!!!

Shelly said...

She is SO cute! I love all her hair! What a precious little girl!